There's hope! Ms. Ale' will help you look at it in a new way:

Through careful examination of language, behavior and environment,
Ms. Ale' offers specific tools, precise language and behaviors
to help parents and teachers work in harmony
with children.

Join the conversation. Share your experiences, successes
and challenges.

We're all in this together!

Monday, January 9, 2012

My Way

I just got my first book published called West Virginia Tails.  I mention this here not to promote the book, but to draw attention to something that the marketing department of the publisher wrote on my website about the book:

"Rekindle love Alethea Shiplett's way..."
It goes on to talk about the book.  What struck me was that they spoke about a way of loving - my way of loving. 

At first I went, "Awwww! How special and poignant and insightful of them!"
 
Then I went, "Hey!  The way in the book that I talk about is not something I made up myself!  People will think those were my ideas and techniques!"

And now I'm like, "Whoa!  I need to blog about this because it lies at the heart of what I'm hearing from parents."

So often, parents who are challenged with their child's behavior problems, temper tantrums, stubbornness, willfulness, etc., will latch on to what I like to call "quick fixes".  These are approaches which for all intents and purposes DO work immediately and enable families to move forward with living, dinnertime, running errands and all of the things that parents and families have to do.

"I count to three". 

"Then what happens?" I ask.

"There's a consequence," is the most common answer.

"What is the consequence?" I ask.

"Well, I take something away or remove a privilege.  Something like that," is the reply.
"How is the consequence related to the misbehavior you are trying to correct?"

"He knows he loses something if he doesn't....."

And so on.  Invariably, the consequence is completely unrelated to the behavior or the setting, and is truly nothing more than a power play on the part of the adult.  The question that is never asked is:  What are you teaching the child.?  How does arbitrarily taking something away help the child to become a self-directing, self-controlled adult? 

Is your lesson that they should be obedient to authority out of fear of punishment?  That is certainly a motivator to do what is right or desirable.  But do you really want obedience based on fear or loss?  Fear is the most detrimental emotional state to normal, healthy development.  Fear must be utilized very carefully, and only, in my opinion, where it is truly warranted - for safety precautions.  Even then, a healthy fear is really just a mindful caution of real consequences to one's actions.  An unhealthy fear is not based on reality - what can really happen.  From this kind of irrational fear stems anxiety, worry, timidity and can lead to neurosis, panic attacks, anxiety attacks, health problems and other imbalances in the body's systems.

And what does obedience based on the threat of loss teach the child?  That the child will loose something or be inconvenienced or her privileges curtailed if she does not obey.  Curtailing privileges can certainly be connected to issues of trust.  If the child is making poor or risky choices, then they cannot be trusted.  Consequently, their freedoms must be curtailed until trustworthiness is exhibited.  For example, a mother wants her children to walk from the home to the car and get into their car seats.  Lately, the children have been climbing into the back seat or the driver's seat and playing with objects, switches, buttons and the like.  
Perhaps the mother can review the sequence of steps before leaving the house.  Then the mother may need to walk with the children, holding their hands until they get to the car in order to guide their bodies to their car seats.  In other words, she should allow as much freedom as the children can own responsibility for.  She could also give the children a choice before leaving the home.  They can play in the yard for 5 or 10 minutes before climbing into their car seats or they can go straight to their car seats.  Whatever approach she takes, the focus is on gaining their cooperation in the process, rather than coercing their behavior with threats of loss.

This raises the possibility of obedience based on love and cooperation.  I need such and such to happen.  My needs interrupt your activity and require that you get in the car and go with me.  What can we do to make this transition amenable for everyone?  Is there a favorite song or toy that can go with you to the car?   Who will carry Mommy's purse and who will carry Mommy's keys?  This is a conversation that can happen before leaving the house.   All this is just a process of making a smooth transition and gaining the child's interest and cooperation in the process.

So is there a "my way" to love?  To rekindle love?  I'd say "no".  But only through thoughtful listening to the needs and wants of others, of open and safe communication, of experimentation with different choices to see which ones work best for everybody, and with the ability to address special needs and interests when they arise, can we work together to do what needs to be done. 

Remember - shift your perspective from "How do I get them to do ________?" to "We're all in this together!"

PEACE!
 

2 comments:

  1. I think it comes down to how the parents themselves were brought up. As of myself, I had a chaotic childhood, for that I try to do a lot of self repairs first as I am disciplining my children. I look at what I am doing as a person who is building an airplane and tries to flay it in the same time. Some of the problems that I try to fix in myself while I am dealing with my children are:
    • Work on my anger (anger control)
    • Stop being sarcastic when they do something that is not appropriate/ unexpected,
    • Control my impulsive reaction or comments,
    • Finally I try to get my message across without letting them feel that I have rancor because of their behavior.
    I look forward to have your advice/direction which I am sure will enhance my relationship with my kids, also the overall quality of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments are very insightful. Thank you for your candor. It sounds like you understand that change begins with ourselves first, then others.

    I invite you to take a closer look at anger. Ask yourself what is triggering the anger. Below are some tips about anger.

    ANGER MANAGEMENT TIPS
    Anger is fear in disguise.

    “What am I afraid of?”

    -safety issues, judgment of others, blame, mess, more work, loss of control

    -your IQ goes down 30 points when you’re angry

    Anger = Trigger + Stress

    Identify your triggers:
    Spitting, biting, tattle-tales, disrespect, laziness, whining, temper tantrums, grabbing, picky eaters, clothes control, shouting, interrupting, defiance, back talk, knocking over things, throwing, bad manners

    -trigger can be a thought, person, event, pain in the body, hunger, desire for food, cigarette, drink, sleep

    -Never use the word “Don’t”, tell the child what to do, rather than what NOT to do

    How to Respond to a Trigger

    1st: Counteract your adrenalin surge: “I am calm”

    2nd: Counteract your limbic reaction: “I am safe”

    3rd: Support your frontal lobe response: “I can help this child”

    4th: STAR: Smile, Take a Breath, and Relax

    Remember: behind anger is fear. Ask yourself "What is the worst that can happen?" Take a deep breath. And trust the opportunity for a teachable moment when you and your child are feeling relaxed and connected.

    Keep up the good work! And feel free to share specific scenarios and challenges. We'll unpack them together.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete